- Determine database structural requirements by analyzing client operations and systems.
- Create conceptual, logical, and physical database designs using data modeling approaches such as UML, E-R, XML Schema, JSON Schema, and SQL.
- Select appropriate database architecture and technologies – OLTP vs OLAP, relational vs NoSQL, document vs columnar, graph vs triple-store, etc.
- Implement and optimize physical database design to support performance, scaling, security, backup, and disaster recovery requirements.
- Work closely with application developers and data analysts to design and optimize data access, query, reporting, and analysis strategies.
- Provide guidance DevOps team for maintaining database performance by identifying and resolving production and application development problems, calculating optimum values for database parameters, evaluating, integrating, and installing new releases, performing maintenance, answering user questions.
SemanticBits is a leading company specializing in the design and development of digital health services, and the work we do is just as unique as the culture we’ve created. We develop cutting-edge solutions to complex problems for commercial, academic, and government organizations. The systems we develop are used in finding cures for deadly diseases, improving the quality of healthcare delivered to millions of people, and revolutionizing the healthcare industry on a nationwide scale. There is a meaningful connection between our work and the real people who benefit from it; and, as such, we create an environment in which new ideas and innovative strategies are encouraged. We are an established company with the mindset of a startup and we feel confident that we offer an employment experience unlike any other and that we set our employees up for professional success every day.
- At least 4 years in a data administrator or architect role.
- Demonstrable experience with RDBMS products, such as Oracle, MySQL, and PostGreSQL.
- Demonstrable experience with NoSQL products, such as MongoDB, Cassandra, and DynamoDB, Elasticsearch.
- Very strong SQL query skills
- Must be able to effectively use a query planner and database metrics to analyze and optimize queries, table structure, indices, and partitioning strategies.
- Familiarity with other query languages is highly desirable – e.g. XPath, MongoDB query language, Elasticsearch query language, JSON Path, SPARQL, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer engineering or related field required
- Strong technical communication skills; both written and verbal
- Strong problem solving and structuring skills
- Ability to identify and learn applicable new techniques independently as needed.
- Experience in the healthcare domain, or with quality data sets is highly desirable.
- Experience with the following technologies is also highly desirable: Apache Superset, Tableau, Looker, Dremio, AWS cloud computing, Hadoop, Spark.
- Generous base salary
- Three weeks of PTO
- Excellent health benefits program (Medical, dental and vision)
- Education and conference reimbursement
- 401k retirement plan. We contribute 3% of base salary irrespective of employee’s contribution
- 100% paid short-term and long-term disability
- 100% paid life insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Casual working environment
- Flexible working hours
SemanticBits, LLC is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and embraces workplace diversity.